It's a girl! Norah Margrette Herman due 2/26/13






Thursday, April 12, 2012

I'm a work in progress...

Lately I have been thinking a lot about things I need to work on to lead a healthier, happier life. The biggest one is working on how I handle stress. I am a worrier. I am a planner. I am a list-maker (I feel lost at the grocery store without my list). I am a bit of a control freak. Uncertainty stresses me out. I have always been like this. I've always known what I wanted. It does not take me long to make a decision, and once my mind is made up, that's pretty much that. I'm like this for both big and little decisions (in dressing rooms, clothes are on me for only seconds before I decide if it's a yes or a no; I decided to transfer from UMD to UofM in less than a day). I tend to stress over the little things, not just the big things, things that should not get me stressed out at all, things I can't control. I always get so worked up, yet everything works out in the end. It is especially stressful for me to accept that there are some things I have no control over. I am a fixer. If there is something I don't like, or something I want, I will adapt, make changes, work harder, do what it takes to make it happen. The fact that there are some things you just can't control is very hard for me to deal with. One of my favorite sayings is the Serenity Prayer, just because it is something I strive for in my life:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I think that recognizing this fault in me is a step in the right direction. I am learning, and trying every day to live by these words. There are things that help me manage my stress, including working out/running, reading, spending time with Kevin and Diesel, and blogging. I know my mental health is just as important as my physical health, and I hope I'm on the road to becoming a more calm, serene person.

In the Outer Banks, NC...this is pure bliss for me...


Is there anything about yourself that you would like to work on?
What steps do you take to reach that goal?

xoxo
Dory

2 comments:

  1. I am a TOTAL FIXER! I can't help it! I don't think that's a bad thing though... but after a while I have had to tell myself though that some things just can't be fixed and I needed to just remove those things all-together. I am trying to work on my bedroom cleanliness! All other areas in our home are super clean - but I leave my clothes everywhere - I'm working on that for sure! :) To reach that goal - I am leaving myself post-its hahaha! :) Great post, Dory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren!

    So funny about the clothes everywhere in the bedroom. Kevin calls it "Tornado Dory" because I do the exact same thing! haha :) Suddenly we go from a clean bedroom to clothes everywhere. Maybe I should try post-its......good idea!

    ReplyDelete