It's a girl! Norah Margrette Herman due 2/26/13






Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spicy Turkey Meatball Subs


I love Italian food. YUM. Unfortunately, lots of pasta and pizza don't go with my diet. Here are some spicy turkey meatball subs that are super easy to make and taste delish...and they're healthy too!
Recipe slightly adapted from here.

Start with lean ground turkey

Chop some onion

Chop some garlic

Add some bread crumbs

Some fresh ground pepper

A couple of egg yolks

A few spices

Some grated parm. Form into meatballs (I usually make pretty big ones)

Add to a hot pan (I usually do medium-high)

Flip after a minute or so (I like mine a little crispy) and cook about 10 minutes, turning occasionally
Add your marinara sauce and let simmer

Voila...grate some more parm on top. Add to a hoagie roll or a bun. We use Target brand wheat hot dog buns because they are tasty and super big. I like my bun toasted. Don't mind the unprofessional picture showing a piece of crispy bun I took off to taste...I was hungry!

YUM. Yes, I do eat these with a fork. I haven't mastered how to eat a sub like this without making a huge mess.

Enjoy!



Healthy Spicy Turkey Meatball Subs

Approx 1 lb lean ground turkey
1/4 c. bread crumbs (I use Italian style)
1-2 Tbs grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (get the block of the real stuff, it is SO worth it!)
Oregano to taste (about 1-2 tsp)
Basil to taste (about 1-2 tsp)
Cayenne Pepper to taste (about 1-2 tsp depending on how spicy you want it)
Garlic Powder (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1-2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, depending on how spicy you want it
1 clove chopped fresh garlic
1/2 of an onion, finely chopped
2 egg yolks
1 large jar Marinara Sauce
Hoagie rolls or buns of your choice (I use Target brand whole wheat hot dog buns and they taste yummy)

Mix together turkey meat, spices, cheese, egg, bread crumbs, onion and garlic just until combined.
Form meat into meatballs. Do whatever size you like, just adjust the cooking time if they are a bit smaller.
 Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
Add meatballs and let brown, about 1-2 minutes each side.
Cook meatballs for about 10 minutes, turning down heat if necessary.
Add marinara sauce (I turn the heat way down before adding for two reasons, so the sauce doesn't splatter and so it doesn't burn).
Make sure the sauce is covering the meatballs.
Cook, covered, for another 10 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat is 165 degrees.
Toast your rolls if you like.
Add 2-3 meatballs per roll.
Spoon some extra sauce on top.
Grate some Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top.

Enjoy! Yum Yum Yum...

xoxo
Dory















No comments:

Post a Comment